Heating, Cooling and Hot Water Systems
All heating and cooling systems maintenance should be completed twice a year, once before the heating season and once before the cooling season.
- Trim shrubbery back at least 18" from outdoor unit.
- Keep air conditioner free of leaves.
- Wash or replace filter monthly.
- Do not store flammable items on or near a furnace or water heater.
- Install one c.o. detector per floor, especially in the master bedroom, of homes with gas appliances.
- Arrange for appropriate regular servicing and cleaning. Examine pressure-temperature relief valve for leaking, and test, if desired.
- General furnace inspection. Look for rust, scaling on heat exchanger, proper color flame. Note odd sounds or smells. Check condition of venting.
- Test for proper draft at furnace and/or water heater diverter, examine flue for leaks, rust, damage